I’m starting a new section on the blog, it’s called FAILS! It’s when a recipe that I was fairly confident would be tasty – so confident that I start the blog post before the dish is finished – turns out nasty. It’s a fine line tasty and nasty, you need only change the starting letter.
It’s all in the spirit of last week’s post – keeping things ‘real.’
I think my biggest disappointment with this recipe was the amount of time it took for me to discover my fail. Since this was designed to be a convenience snack (like the kind you buy in the freezer section of Costco’s or BJ’s), these flautas sat in my freezer for over a month – taking up valuable real estate! – before I baked the finished product; leaving my husband and I disappointed and without many other lunch options.
I have liked buffalo chicken dips that friends have served me. So, I developed this recipe with those ingredients in mind; and with the goal of keeping these flautas in the freezer to have on hand as an easy snack, or to serve with a salad for lunch.
My biggest complaint was how much the blue cheese crumbles over powered everything. For my husband, he didn’t like the overall consistency of the filling, so maybe the solution is to just shred the chicken, add buffalo sauce and some shredded cheddar cheese, but not the blue cheese or cream cheese.
Maybe you can fix this recipe? If you do let me know.
This recipe should be a great way to get rid of leftover chicken. However, if you need shredded chicken for a recipe you can wrap three chicken breasts (here tossed in some hot sauce – otherwise use olive oil) in a tin foil packet. Bake in a 375° F oven for 35 minutes. Allow packet to cool and then shred the chicken.
Here is what I did:
Mix hot sauce and cream cheese into the shredded chicken.
Sprinkle with blue cheese and roll up like cigars.
Place on a plate, wrap in cling film, and freeze. Once fully frozen place in freezer bag.
Take out of freezer and place on a baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- 2 packed cups of cooked chicken shredded
- .5 cup of buffalo sauce (I had Frank’s in the fridge)
- 4 oz of reduced-fat cream cheese
- 6 teaspoons of blue cheese
- 12 six inch flour tortillas
- Mix chicken, hot sauce, and cream cheese together.
- Use a soup spoon to portion out the chicken mixture onto the tortillas and spread in a thin layer.
- Sprinkle with a half teaspoon of blue cheese.
- Roll up the tortillas like a cigar, pressing down slightly at the end.
- Place on a plate, cover with cling film, and place in the freezer.
- Once frozen through, remove from plate and place in a Ziploc freezer bag.
- When ready for bake, preheat oven to 350º F and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Again, this was good as an idea, but not in it’s current execution. So even though I’ve shared a ‘bad’ recipe it still may be a useful read as you craft your own.