Keeping a batch of these in the freezer means makes having a hot breakfast much easier, particularly on days when you know that lunch might not be until later and need a more substantial meal than a granola bar. There are many directions for breakfast burritos out there on the web that I have used to compile this one. As part of my attempt at a healthy lifestyle I try to have a couple of vegetarian meals a week, so these burritos don’t have any meat. But, you could easily add bacon or sausage if you wish. Either just layer in the cooked meat when you assemble to burritos, or mix it in with the eggs.
Back in the US, I would use fresh shredded potatoes from the refrigerated section of the grocery store to save time (I would use half a package per batch). I have’t been able to find those over here, so I just diced up some potatoes. There are many different varieties of potatoes in the UK, and I bought ‘maris piper’ potatoes, since they said they were good for frying. To me they looked like large new potatoes; about the size of my fist with a thin skin, so I didn’t bother to peel them.
I only have one large non-stick skillet, so rather than cook the potatoes and then clean the pan and cook the eggs; I cook the eggs in oven. It also helps with portioning the eggs out for the burritos.
What you will need:
Whisk together milk & eggs:
Bake in in preheated oven for 10 minutes stirring occasionally:
Dice potatoes & fry in a non-stick skillet:
Add 1 cup of salsa and continue to cook until liquid has evaporated. Divide into eight equal portions:
When the eggs are done divide them into eight equal portions:
Assemble the burritos:
Lay out the tortillas and place a portion of potatoes in the middle:
Sprinkle on some cheese & top with a portion of egg:
Top with a tbsp of salsa:
Sprinkle with more cheese:
Roll burritos and wrap in cling film and place in freezer:
- .5 cup of milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 4 maris piper potatoes (washed, skins left on)
- 1 jar of chunky salsa (divided)
- 8 eight inch (20cm) flour tortillas
- 2 tsp of vegetable oil
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit(170 degrees Celsius) and spray 8×8 (20cm square) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together eggs and milk and pour into baking dish.
- Put eggs into the oven for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Dice the potatoes and fry in the skillet until golden brown.
- Add one cup of salsa and continue to cook until the potatoes are coated with salsa and most of the liquid has evaporated. Divide into eight equal portions.
- When the eggs are done, remove them from the oven and divide into eight equal portions.
- Assemble the burritos:
- lay out the tortillas
- place portion of potatoes in the middle of the tortilla
- sprinkle with cheese
- add a portion of egg
- spoon a tablespoon of salsa on top
- sprinkle on more cheese
- roll up burritos
Wrap burritos in clip film (saran wrap) and place in freezer.
To reheat the burritos:
- Remove cling film
- Loosely wrap in a paper towel
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes
- Let rest for 2 minutes and then microwave again for 45 seconds.